TMJ Treatment, Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction
TMJ Treatment in Hawthorne: TMJ is a general term for acute or chronic inflammation of the temporomandibular joint, which connects the jawbone to the skull. It can come on due to countless reasons and can be an irritating issue that can cause long-term ailments.
Some of the most common causes of TMJ are:
- Bruxism (teeth grinding)
- Poor posture
- Back injury
- Excessive nail biting
- Degenerative joint diseases
Chiropractic care can help alleviate the pain and regularity of TMJ symptoms. By correcting the misalignment between your spine and nervous system, chiropractic can be effective at reducing your pain associated with TMJ, either when used alone or as a complement to other treatments. It relaxes your muscles, adjusts your joints and uses specific trigger points to accurately re-position your jaw.
When done successfully, this will not only relieve your pain, but it can help prevent your TMJ pain from returning. So instead of cutting out your favorite foods or potentially having painful dental work done, try chiropractic care!
You may have TMJ if you experience the following symptoms:
- Pain or tenderness of the jaw
- Pain in one or both of the temporomandibular joints
- Aching pain in or around the ear
- Difficulty chewing or pain while chewing
- Aching facial pain
- Locking of the joint, making it difficult to open or close the mouth
- Clicking sound or grating sensation when the mouth is opened or chewing